Monday 1 March 2010

Crouch End's Got Talent







On Saturday night, Hornsey Vale Community Centre hosted 'Crouch End's Got Talent', a fundraiser for the Haiti Earthquake Appeal. As well as hearing the dulcet tones of 'Songwork's', the community choir, we heard from an amazing array of local people with some serious talent. I tried to get the Green Party's Parliamentary Candidate for Hornsey and Wood Green, Pete McAskie, to duet with me on 'Elected' by Alice Cooper. He was strangely reticent. (For the record, I refrained from singing and stuck to baking and waitressing).

I'm so glad that I am a trustee at Hornsey Vale - we managed to turn this event around in less than 3 weeks notice, and raised over £500 (the money's still being counted, so no exact figure yet). Added to that, we gave a lot of people a good time - which is an end in itself.

The top picture above is Hornsey Vale coordinator and Stroud Green resident Tanya Wright as you've (well, I've) never seen her before. She compered the entire event, and did an excellent job of ad-libbing (in various odd accents - she evidently trained at the Sarah Cope school of dodgy accents).

Knackered as I was after the Whittington demo, it was a night to remember - more please, and I promise never to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment